I’ve been testing a brand new heavy duty backpacking boot from Wolverine, the Wolverine Fulcrums. Wolverine makes a lot of military and backpacking boots, and as the name suggests, the Fulcrums are no exception to the tough nature of these boots!
- Excellent traction. Check out the soles on these boots (see picture)! The traction was great, especially on steep downhill portions of the trail and on cross country terrain hiking.
- Buttery soft leather. The rich, dark brown leather is remarkably soft yet durable, a sign of good quality leather. These boots are definitely going to last a lot longer than others on the market! It is waterproof, and there’s a Gore-Tex membrane so the leather kept my feet dry during a couple of rain storms during my hikes.
- High tech user customization. Wolverine has developed a unique technology called ICS (Individual Comfort System), which is a disc based system that enables the wearer to adjust the boot to her own walking style. Some of us pronate, others supinate (see Hiking 101 for more info on that!). With the ICS technology, all I did was adjust the gel disc right underneath the insole in the boot’s heel to increase the level of support when I was out hiking.
- Vibram Mutant Rubber Outsole. The best rubber technology on the market… can’t beat it.
- Comfortable! Supple leather combined with the high tech ICS support system make for a truly comfortable hiking boot.
- Slightly wide. I found the Fulcrums to run slightly wide (and I have a VERY narrow foot). For those of you hikers with standard B width feet, you can ignore this comment!
- Price: $200.
- Where to buy? Women’s version will be available in stores this winter. Men’s are already available.
Overall the Wolverine Fulcrums are truly hardcore boots that are a great choice for discerning hikers willing to invest in quality!