Plus sized hiking apparel? Yes, there finally are some great plus sized hiking apparel options! We’ve been waiting for years, haven’t we ladies!
Perhaps apparel manufacturers finally read all of the Hiking Lady reader commented on the Hiking 101: Pants page, venting about the lack of plus sized hiking apparel. Here’s just a teaser of what I’ve been hearing for the last few years:
- Lou: “It is as if anyone over size 16 is not considered important enough for designers.“
- Wendy: “Most women are not designed with small thighs and I really wish clothing designers would wake up and start designing clothes for ‘real’ women“
- Maddie: “thanks to my, “jewish birthing hips”. I’m considering a hiking skirt, is it worth it?“
- Kate: had to resort to wearing Boy Scout hiking pants! “Okay, okay, I know that sounds crazy, but the Boy Scouts make hiking pants for mom leaders up to size 22-24 in rip stop nylon that zip off into shorts” (if you’re interested, the Boy Scout Ladies Uniform pants come in sizes up to 3XL and in various inseams)
Clothing companies, are you listening?!?
Thanks to REI’s focus on their 2017 Force of Nature initiative to get women outdoors, combined with some leading brands like Columbia Sportswear, KUHL, and REI’s Co-op private label apparel developing plus sized women’s hiking apparel, there are some alternatives. Let’s hope they continue to listen and develop even more plus sized apparel so that everyone can easily get outdoors, no matter what their size or shape!
What is the Best Plus Sized Hiking Apparel for Women?
Over the last few months, a lot of plus sized hiking apparel has hit the market. There is no longer a need to feel discouraged! The average American woman wears a size 16, and brands are finally listening. Check out my favorite plus sized women’s hiking apparel:
- Columbia Arcadia II Rain Jacket.
- This rain jacket is roomy, made of Columbia’s high quality Omni-Tech materials, and comes in sizes 1X-3X. Note that the sleeve length from armpit to cuff is 20 inches for all sizes, so it won’t work if you need extra long sleeves. In certain colors it can be found at lower prices.
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-26W)
- KUHL Splash 11″ Short
- These KUHL shorts are the same as their awesome non-plus sized versions, and are known to be super comfortable. Most wearers say that they run a size small, so if you can try to order a size up.
- Sizes: 18W-22W
- Columbia Just Right Straight Leg Pants.
- You’ve probably seen my write-up about these on the Hiking 101: Pants page, and they are great for women of all sizes because they’re so comfortable. They come in Plus, Regular, and Petite sizes. These Columbia Just Right pants are stretchy, but durable enough for hiking, plus they’ll wick sweat. If you’re okay with just one pocket (stuff everything else in your backpack), then you’ll like these hiking pants!
- Sizes: 16W-24W
- Lucy Workout Tee
- A long sleeve wicking top perfect as a baselayer on a cool morning hike.
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-24W)
- Nike Dry Miler T-Shirt
- Lightweight, moisture wicking, affordable. Can’t ask for more than that!
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-24W)
Images of the Plus Sized Hiking Apparel:
Here are my favorites! Have you found some plus sized hiking apparel that you love? Please share for all of us in the comments below!
Hiking Lady occasionally receives products or services from companies for free or at-cost for review purposes, and in some cases may receive a small percentage of sales if a product is purchased. As always, companies whose products are being reviewed are NOT allowed to exercise creative or editorial control over content.
Thanks Miss Heidi! This is very helpful!
I have fallen in love with the Dynama Bermuda Shorts Plus size! Lightweight fabric, 9 ” length which is right below the wide part of my legs, and the legs STAY DOWN! You heard me, they do not inch up. The fabric stays cool, and the waistband is comfortable around my padded waist. AND, it has a nice curve at my bottom, for a cute shape.
* wishing it came in more colors for plus sizes. And , it’s expensive, but so far it is wearing great!
LL Bean makes some great plus size hiking pants. I bought two pairs, one can be rolled up to a Capri and the other has a hidden drawstring in the bottom been eating to keep out bugs or turn into capris. They are fast drying, have 6 pockets, and look nice enough to wear in almost any setting. For reference, I normally wear a 18/20, 5’5″, 250#. ( Cato’s or Walmart sizing) and ordered these in 2xx . They are slightly large so next time I would order my true of 1x.
Thanks Jen! Do you have specific names of items? I can link to them so other readers can more easily find them. Much appreciated, and happy trails!
I found hiking pants from Eddie Bauer, with pockets I have iPhone X. I got the pants at Eddie Bauer oulet. I have their jackets, shirts dresses from Travex line also got at outlet. I also have Under Amour cold gear line as baselayers. I also use Columbia pants tops and jackets. I shop for all at the outlets. I am size 18/20 5’5” tall 245lbs age 35. I can share photos if you wish.
I’m so happy to see this article, thank you.
Good news everyone – I got a note from a contact of mine that the brand Aventura will be launching plus sized apparel Spring 2018! Stay tuned… I’ll share more when it comes out.
Karen wrote to me:
“I wanted to comment on this article, but could not find where to put the comments.
I have found some great hiking pants through Duluth. https://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/womens-pants/56709.aspx?processor=content
They only go up to size 20, but have a little elastic in the waist and have some give to them. Plus they dry very quickly. I found that just taking a couple of pair on a trip is fine because you can hand wash them and let them hang overnight. They are always dry by morning. They are fairly cool and are very comfortable. They are also convertible to capris if needed/wanted. Duluth also has a great guarantee if they don’t fit, they take them back, no questions asked.
Duluth also has some shirts, but they tend to be more form fitting then I particularly like. I did like the armachillo tank https://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/womens-shirts-womens-tops/womens-tanks/81705.aspx?processor=content but it only goes up to 2xl. It is a trim fit instead of relaxed, but actually falls a little nicely on the body. I am a size 16-18 and find the 2xl is ok for me. I am still self conscious, but am comfortable enough to wear it. It is not a shirt I would wear out otherwise, though.
Thank you for this article. It really is difficult to find hiking clothes for my size. I just thought I woudl send you some of my favorites.
Sorry about the comment issue. I fixed that now! I appreciate your input Karen, and this information is super helpful! Happy trails! 🙂
Eileen wrote to me:
“I hope someday they’ll also make woman’s cargo shorts or pants with pockets big enough for the larger Smart phone. I always have to buy men’s and the fit is not as good but my phone fits in the pockets.
Thank you so much for your comment and feedback. I agree. I have an iPhone 7 and like to have it in my pocket on short hikes. Often times I end up clipping it to my waist! Let’s hope some pants designers listen to you 🙂
Thank you to everyone for your emails to me commenting on this article. Here are a few notable ones I thought I’d share: