Plus sized hiking apparel? Yes, there finally are some great plus sized hiking apparel options! We’ve been waiting for years, haven’t we ladies!
Perhaps apparel manufacturers finally read all of the Hiking Lady reader commented on the Hiking 101: Pants page, venting about the lack of plus sized hiking apparel. Here’s just a teaser of what I’ve been hearing for the last few years:
- Lou: “It is as if anyone over size 16 is not considered important enough for designers.“
- Wendy: “Most women are not designed with small thighs and I really wish clothing designers would wake up and start designing clothes for ‘real’ women“
- Maddie: “thanks to my, “jewish birthing hips”. I’m considering a hiking skirt, is it worth it?“
- Kate: had to resort to wearing Boy Scout hiking pants! “Okay, okay, I know that sounds crazy, but the Boy Scouts make hiking pants for mom leaders up to size 22-24 in rip stop nylon that zip off into shorts” (if you’re interested, the Boy Scout Ladies Uniform pants come in sizes up to 3XL and in various inseams)
Clothing companies, are you listening?!?
Thanks to REI’s focus on their 2017 Force of Nature initiative to get women outdoors, combined with some leading brands like Columbia Sportswear, KUHL, and REI’s Co-op private label apparel developing plus sized women’s hiking apparel, there are some alternatives. Let’s hope they continue to listen and develop even more plus sized apparel so that everyone can easily get outdoors, no matter what their size or shape!
What is the Best Plus Sized Hiking Apparel for Women?
Over the last few months, a lot of plus sized hiking apparel has hit the market. There is no longer a need to feel discouraged! The average American woman wears a size 16, and brands are finally listening. Check out my favorite plus sized women’s hiking apparel:
- Columbia Arcadia II Rain Jacket.
- This rain jacket is roomy, made of Columbia’s high quality Omni-Tech materials, and comes in sizes 1X-3X. Note that the sleeve length from armpit to cuff is 20 inches for all sizes, so it won’t work if you need extra long sleeves. In certain colors it can be found at lower prices.
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-26W)
- KUHL Splash 11″ Short
- These KUHL shorts are the same as their awesome non-plus sized versions, and are known to be super comfortable. Most wearers say that they run a size small, so if you can try to order a size up.
- Sizes: 18W-22W
- Columbia Just Right Straight Leg Pants.
- You’ve probably seen my write-up about these on the Hiking 101: Pants page, and they are great for women of all sizes because they’re so comfortable. They come in Plus, Regular, and Petite sizes. These Columbia Just Right pants are stretchy, but durable enough for hiking, plus they’ll wick sweat. If you’re okay with just one pocket (stuff everything else in your backpack), then you’ll like these hiking pants!
- Sizes: 16W-24W
- Lucy Workout Tee
- A long sleeve wicking top perfect as a baselayer on a cool morning hike.
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-24W)
- Nike Dry Miler T-Shirt
- Lightweight, moisture wicking, affordable. Can’t ask for more than that!
- Sizes: 1X-3X (16W-24W)
Images of the Plus Sized Hiking Apparel:
Here are my favorites! Have you found some plus sized hiking apparel that you love? Please share for all of us in the comments below!
Hiking Lady occasionally receives products or services from companies for free or at-cost for review purposes, and in some cases may receive a small percentage of sales if a product is purchased. As always, companies whose products are being reviewed are NOT allowed to exercise creative or editorial control over content.