What do hiking toddlers and kids wear in the summer? Water shoes! Merrell has a new line called the Hydro Choprock that are just as amazing as the Merrell Kids Hydro 2.0 shoes, and even more versatile than the KEEN Newport H2s. Read on for the full Merrell Hydro Choprock review!
Why the Merrell Kids Hydro Choprock?
Key criteria I look for in kid’s shoes: versatility, good support, foot protection, comfort, and a reasonable value.
Unlike some other sandals that are purely water shoes, Merrell tends to do a superior job at making their water shoes what I call a water trail shoe. What do I mean by that? They are more of a typical shoe style than a sandal, and therefore offer a lot more versatility. Other parents will understand when I say how much I value versatility. With Hiking Baby outgrowing his shoes every few months, I want ONE pair that will take us everywhere for the entire summer. The Merrell Kids Hydro Choprock can be worn on a hike, at the playground, in the pool, and even on cool summer evenings with a pair of socks.
Merrell Kids Hydro Choprock Review
Hiking Baby has been testing out a pair of Merrell Kids Hydro Choprock sandals and they have several attributes that make them a good choice for summertime adventures.
- Made of breathable open mesh and leather. These sandals also have a quick dry lining, making them ideal for the pool, beach, or mud puddles!
- Toggle closure. See pictures above. They are very easy to get on and off!
- Durable outsole with solid traction. The sole is slightly flexible (think of a trail running shoe compared to a traditional running shoe) so there is excellent support on uneven surfaces (rocks, trails, or wherever you’re little adventurer may go) with plenty of traction.
- Barefoot feel. There is a 0mm drop (the heel and toe box are at the same level), so your child will feel like he’s barefoot.
- Closed toe front with cutouts on the side of the shoe. The solid rubber toe provides protection for junior’s toes, yet plenty of air to keep his or her feet cool.
- Water friendly. Not only do those stylish cutouts in the side of the shoe provide breath-ability, but they also allow the shoes to be used for water play. These are designed to be used in the water!
- Where to Buy: Amazon.com, Merrell.com.
- Size Range: The Little Kid’s Hydro Choprock comes in sizes 9-10 (Toddler) in medium width. The Big Kid’s Hydro Choprock Sandal comes in sizes 11-7 in medium width.
- Colors: They come in a variety of color combinations for both “girl” and “boy” styles.
- Price: All sizes are priced at $50.00.