Kids need versatile shoes that can take their feet on all sorts of adventures! Hiking Toddler is testing out a pair of Merrell Bare Steps H20, the water shoe version of the Merrell Bare Steps sneakers we checked out previously.
Why Merrell “Bare Steps” shoes?
As a parent, I want the best for my kids. Therefore, I want them to have super comfortable shoes yet ones that have the right support and function.
Interestingly, podiatrists generally recommend that toddlers wear soft soled shoes that are flexible and have wide toe boxes. When Merrell introduced their Bare Steps collection, they aimed to build shoes that accomplished these goals. Now that summer is here, they developed a water shoe version!
Water shoes are a critical piece of footwear for kids in the summer. Hiking Toddler wears them at the pool, the beach, on hikes, playing… you name it. Almost all of our activities in the summer (including hiking) involve water, so we need quick dry, light, versatile shoes.
Are Merrell’s Bare Steps H20 the Best Summer Water Shoes?
Hiking Toddler has used a wide range of water shoes in his short 3 years of existence. With his feet outgrowing shoes every 3 months on average (sometimes faster!) it is no wonder we have been able to try out so many water shoes: KEEN Newport H2s (in two sizes), Tevas, Merrell Kids Hydro 2.0 Shoes, Merrell Hydro Choprocks, and now these Bare Steps H20s.
Merrell Kids Bare Steps H20 Review
Key criteria I look for in kid’s shoes: versatility, good support, foot protection, comfort, and a reasonable value.
Hiking Toddler has been enjoying these Bare Steps H20s this summer. They have several features that make them a top choice for summertime adventures.
- Structured like a sneaker for added versatility. These water shoes are truly sneakers that seem to have the comfort of slippers. They have loads of protection, so can be used for just about anything your toddler enjoys…hiking, beach days, riding tricycles, etc. (just check out the pictures!)
- Easy opening/closure. They are very easy to get on and off! Hiking Toddler is 3 and can do it himself.
- Breathable. No sweaty feet. Yay!!
- Solid traction. The sole is very flexible there are multi directional grooves for flexibility.
- Barefoot feel. The shoes are wide in the toe box to match the shape of toddler feet.
- Water friendly. These are designed to be used in the water! They dry quickly too!
- Where to Buy: Amazon.com, Merrell.com.
- Size Range: The Bare Steps H20 Sneakers come in toddler sizes 4-10 and in medium and wide widths! I find it mandatory that toddler shoes come in widths, otherwise it is impossible to find a good fit.
- Colors: They come in blue and pink.
- Price: All sizes are priced at $35.00.