Imagine this…you’re on the hike of a lifetime, reveling in the gorgeous views. You reach into your backpack for your camera or smartphone to take a picture to capture the moment, but the battery is dead! Do you have a battery backup? Avid readers of Hiking Lady know that I am all for getting off the grid and putting your smartphone deep into your backpack (and not using it) while out on an adventure. However, I do realize that many hikers (including me!) love taking photos, and also want their smartphone just in case they need to make an emergency call/text (assuming you have coverage on your hike!). The only problem? The battery life is horrible on my iPhone, so it isn’t dependable for an emergency phone call. I heard about Mogix Portable Chargers and I jumped at the chance to review them.
Why A Mogix Portable Charger?
I have tried other portable chargers in the past. Some were heavy: Hiking Lady’s review of the ibattaz Battstation Optimus 20400mAH. Others were not as powerful: Hiking Lady’s review of the RAVPower Luster Battery backup. Some even required solar power Hiking Lady’s review of the Solar iCharge and Powermonkey eXplorer. Why is the Mogix Portable Charger my new choice? There are 4 key features that impress me the most about the Mogix charger:
- Powerful. It FULLY charged my iPhone 6S 1.5 times on one charge of the Mogix.
- Lightweight. Weighing in at a mere 3.5 ounces, it adds a lot of peace of mind in exchange for just a few ounces in your backpack.
- Sleek, space saving form factor. It is thinner and lighter than my iPhone, so it is easy to slip into my pocket, purse, or hiking backpack.
- VERY reasonably priced. $13.95-$17.95.
So far the Mogix Portable Charger has proven to be reliable for me. It isn’t waterproof or breakproof, so you can’t let it fall into a muddy puddle on your hike, but those features would clearly add bulk and weight to this sleek little charger. Currently I am storing it with my emergency supplies for the inevitable power outage, and whenever I hike I slip it into my backpack.
Specs of the Mogix Portable Charger
- Dimensions: 2.3″ x 0.25″ x 4.5″
- Power: 5000 mAh
- Compatibility: Charges any smartphone. All you need is your power cord to attach it to the USB port of the Mogix.
- Colors: Black or White
- Pricing: $13.95-17.95
Special Deal for Hiking Lady Readers
Have you ever needed a battery backup while out on the trail? Or in a power outage? Please add your comments and thoughts below.