Hiking Lady readers know how I like to keep an Adventure Medical Kit with me on hiking and backpacking trips. I have customized mine, and you can check out my first aid kit customization here.
For families, Adventure Medical Kits makes a family specific first aid kit, the Adventure Medical Kits Adventure First Aid Family Kit, which includes the book Caring For Children In the Outdoors.
Features of the Adventure Medical: Family First Aid Kit
- Contents of the Kit:
- Medical Information: Caring for Children in the Outdoors
- Wound Care:
- 4 Butterfly Closure Fabric Adhesive Bandages
- 6 Antiseptic Wipe
- 3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment
- 1 Nitrile Gloves, Pair
- 16 1×3 fabric bandages
- 12 Junior Plastic bandages
- 4 Knuckle fabric bandages
- 1 Bandage, 2 inches x 4.5 inches
- 4 Sterile Gauze Dressings, 4 x 4 inches
- 2 Sterile Non-Adherent Dressings, 2 x 3 inches
- Tape, 1/2 inches, 10 yards
- 2 pack of Cotton Tip Applicators
- 2 Alcohol Swabs
- Blister Care:
- Moleskin, 14 pieces
- Sprain/Strain Care:
- 1 Elastic Bandage with Hook & Loop Closure, 2 inches
- 1 Instant Cold Compress
- Medical Instruments:
- 2 single use thermometers
- 1 Bandage Scissors with Blunt Tip
- 1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
- 2 Safety Pins
- 3 Ibuprofen, 200 mg
- 3 Acetaminophen, 500 mg
- 2 Antihistamine, 25 mg
- 2 Aspirin, 325 mg
- 3 After Bite wipes
- Insect Repellent and Bite Treatment:
- Weight? 1 pound 1 ounce.
- Size: 6 inches x 8.5 inches x 3 inches.
- Where to Buy? Amazon.com, $30.00.
Thoughts on the kit:
Like all Adventure Medical Kits I’ve used, the quality of the products are great, and the kit is pretty thorough. That’s pretty evident in the above list!
I was a bit surprised there were not more child specific items, but what is included is excellent. There are kids specific bandages and the book: Caring for Children in the Outdoors. The book has overview level information about common childhood illnesses, dosage information for children, and CPR and choking guidelines.
If you want to be able to cut through clothes quickly to care for a wound, or easily cut a bandage in half, you will probably want to swap out the included scissors with something more durable like these. I have a pair like this in my home medical kit, and am considering adding one to this kit.
Overall, the Adventure Medical Kits Adventure First Aid Family Kit is a must have for adventurous families! It is reasonably priced and packed with essentials.
I have the regular Adventure Medical Kit for my hiking backpack, but I think I’ll consider this for family trips or my car.
Thank you Hiking Lady, a good reminder that we all need to have these kits handy for ourselves and others that may be in need of some first aid on our hikes,
Keep up the good work!