We actually had some rain in Southern California last weekend, so I had the chance to test my new Patagonia Torrentshell Stretch Jacket. The Torrentshell Stretch is similar to the Patagonia Torrentshell jacket, but it is far more technical.
As to be expected from a high quality Patagonia rain jacket, the Patagonia Torrentshell Stretch is a highly waterproof and durable nylon outer layer for hiking. It comes complete with underarm zips, a helmet compatible hood, and coated, watertight zippers throughout the jacket.
All things considered, the Torrentshell Stretch is a step up from the Patagonia Torrentshell jacket.
Features that make the Patagonia Torrentshell Stretch Better than the Patagonia Torrentshell Jacket:
The Torrentshell Stretch has several features that are superior to the Patagonia Torrentshell:
- Improved fit. Stretch panels in the lower arms and across the back of the shoulders enhance mobility (hence the name, Patagonia Torrentshell “Stretch”
- All zippers are watertight. The Torrentshell has storm flaps over all of the zippers. It just makes the pockets and pit zips less accessible. Plus the waterproof zips add nice styling to the Patagonia Torrentshell Stretch.
- Sizes: XS-XL. Several color options. I find that Patagonia runs big, and the arms of all their tops run long, so I order a size smaller than normal when I buy Patagonia.
- Price: $199. This is more than the $129 for the Patagonia Torrentshell, but worth the extra money if you can afford it because the features are superior.
- Where to Buy? ShoeBuy.com has the jackets available at $199.
Overall, the Patagonia Torrentshell Stretch is a highly technical rain jacket that is an excellent outer layer to handle inclement and windy conditions! Happy trails!