What do you wear when it is cold outside, and you still want to go hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, or running?
Polarmax has a solution – a series of technical base layers: “Warm”, “Warmer”, or “Warmest” – just wear the appropriate one for the conditions outside! Polarmax manufactures all of its apparel in the US, is environmentally friendly (they even re-use packaging!), and are generally priced below other brands, even though their technology is just as good.
I’ve been testing out the “Warmer” and “Warmest” sets. What are the basic differences?
- The “Warmer” Polarmax tights and top are intended to be worn as a baselayer underneath other apparel. They are a relaxed fit and the fabric is lighter weight.
- The “Warmest” series has a wonderfully soft brushed fabric on the inside. They are an athletic fit (these are truly running tights), and are not bulky at all.
Both the Polarmax “Warmer” and “Warmest” series have the characteristics of a high quality base layer: they are moisture wicking, quick drying, breathable, and have seams that lay flat next to your skin.
How did they hold up to Hiking Lady’s rigorous standards? Surprisingly well! The Warmer tights and top reminded me of standard long underwear, with the benefit being that they really wicked moisture well and the fabric seemed softer than others I’ve tried.
The Warmest top and tights were even more compelling, and worth the extra money. The tights make excellent running tights for a cool winter day’s trail run, and they kept me nice and warm when I used them as a baselayer underneath my hiking pants. The soft fleece-like lining was a pleasure to wear. No wonder the National Ski Patrol chose Polarmax as their official supplier.
While the pricing seems steep, it is competitive. Of course I wish they were even more affordable, but my trial pair has survived 3 months of frequent wear and washings.
Have you tried Polarmax baselayers? Please share your thoughts!
- Price: Warmer Tights/Top: $29.95 each; Warmest Tights/Top: $49.95 each.
- Sizes: Available in XS – XL for women’s. Similar products are available for men as well.
- Where to buy? Online at Polarmax.com or various sporting goods retailers.