I’ve been trying out a unique merino wool baselayer by Finisterre, a small UK based outdoor apparel company that has its roots in the surfing industry.
Check out why and how this is different from other baselayers on the market.
- It works! Regulates temperature and wicks moisture… Many baselayers on the market are made of synthetic materials. Finisterre’s Eddy baselayer is made of merino wool, which is a great natural fiber that wicks moisture and helps regulate temperature. I’ve been wearing mine on spring hikes, as well as some trail runs, and really like how it keeps me warm when it is cool out, and yet I don’t overheat when the sun comes out.
- Convenient thumb loops. When I’m out trail running, I often don’t wear gloves because I find my hands heat up pretty quickly (unless it is super cold out!). Companies started adding thumb loops to workout attire a few years ago, and I really love seeing this feature on baselayers I buy for running and hiking. My fingers are free yet my hands are warm. Then I just push up the sleeves when my hands have warmed up.
- Stylish. The design of the Eddy Quarter Zip is very feminine yet functional, with a longer torso. It doesn’t ride up at all when I’m out running.
- Environmentally friendly. Finisterre uses merino wool from Australian sheep farms, and processes and knits the wool at EU eco-label certified spinners. What is even more relevant to me is that they don’t use chlorine in the fabric, since I hate when companies use unnecessary chemicals that can be bothersome to those that are sensitive.
- Durable. After several launderings mine still looks brand new.
- Price! Baselayer prices are creeping higher, and Finisterre’s Eddy Quarter Zip is no exception. It retails for 50 GBP, so about $82.
- For shorter ladies, the top and sleeves may be a little long. Since I’m just 5’3″, the long torso feature was nice, and it was just a smidge on the long side. If you are even shorter than me, the extra long torso may end up being too long for you.
- Material: Superfine merino wool.
- Weight: 180 grams.
- Care: Normal wash, no bleach, hang or dry flat.
- Price: MSRP GBP 50.
If you’re willing to make the investment in a high quality piece of gear like this, it is a nice choice for a baselayer.
I like the longer cuts. Icebreaker is doing this now too. I just bought one of their tops and it hangs down really long.