Because I live in California, there are plenty of UV rays and hot temperatures when I am out hiking. I use my Dorfman Pacific Solarweave Mesh Trek hat when it is over 60 degees Fahrenheit, and the fleece lining of my Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero would be unbearable.
What I like about my Dorfman Pacific Solarweave Hat:
- Mesh vent. The mesh vent on top helps keep my head cool, yet provides enough sun protection.
- Chin strap. The chin strap keeps my hat firmly in place in windy conditions
- Broad brim. This hat provides a tremendous amount of shade on my face and neck.
- UPF 50 rating. The weave is designed to provide very good UVA and UVB protection.
What I don’t like?
- The Solarweave hat is considered crushable, but it is more difficult to reshape than my Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero.
Note that is it marketed as a “men’s” hat, but it is very much unisex. In fact, I have seen more women on the trail wearing it than men!