I am planning an exciting adventure! I will be camping and hiking on Santa Cruz Island, one of the gorgeous islands off of California’s coastline just west of Los Angeles.
The Channel Islands are protected by the National Park Service, and remind us of what coastal California looked like before the urban sprawl. Pristine coastlines, wildflowers, solitude…I can’t wait to go!
I’ll be referencing the Hiking Lady’s Backpacking Checklist this week to get all the gear together I’ll need!
- Depart Ventura on Island Packers boat (cost $79 per person for overnight trips) to Santa Cruz Island. Luckily it is only an hour ride so I shouldn’t get seasick!
- Set up camp 0.5 miles from the pier at the Santa Cruz Scorpion Ranch campground.
- Hike to El Montanon, an 8.5 mile round trip hike with 1800 feet of elevation gain. The views are apparently amazing and on a clear day all 6 islands in the Santa Barbara chain of Channel Islands will be visible, as well as the coastline of Southern California all the way from Point Conception to Palos Verdes!
- Enjoy night one at the Scorpion Ranch campground. I’m packing Mountain House Rice & Chicken for dinner!
- Wake up and have breakfast at Scorpion Ranch campground. Pack snacks (including the new CLIF Bar Nuts & Seeds flavor!) for the hike to Potato Harbor. Hike for 4.8 miles, round trip.
- Return from Potato Harbor hike and take down camp and head back for the boat departure back to Ventura.
Do you have a hike planned soon? Have you been to Santa Cruz Island? Share your tips!