Deuter is known for their backpacks. Not surprisingly, since Deuter has been in the outdoor equipment business for 115 years, they have had a long time to perfect their daypacks, backpacks, and child carriers.
I recently had a chance to test the Deuter Compact EXP 10 SL, a women’s specific small daypack, designed for mountain bikers, but an excellent option for hikers looking for a compact daypack.
What Hiking Lady Likes About the Deuter Compact EXP 10 SL Women’s Backpack?
- Sleek design and fit! You can really keep this backpack close to your body, which provides stability when hiking on uneven terrain or rock scrambling. Since it was designed for bikers, in my testing it did not flop around on my back when hiking quickly and climbing steep terrain.
- Built in rain cover. This rain cover is a nice feature. Not only is it a bright fluorescent yellow color so you can stay safe in rainy/cloudy conditions, it stores compactly at the bottom of the backpack and stays out of the way when not in use.
- Helmet/extra gear compatible. If you take this backpack biking or skiing, then the stowable helmet flap will come in handy. Same for all of you rock climbers out there. Otherwise, use it to stash a jacket or extra layer of clothing.
- Deuter’s support system. The propriety back system has reinforced panels, which helps prevent that uncomfortable feeling in most backpacks of your hydration bladder flopping around as you hike. I hate when that happens! This backpack solves that problem. Plus the Airstriples systems helps circulate air to help alleviate the sweaty back problem.
- Panel loading design with organization pockets. I love staying organized, and while top loading backpacks are great when looking to save weight on longer trips where more gear is required, on dayhikes I like to use a panel loading backpack. See Hiking 101: Backpacks to learn about the differences between a top loading vs. panel loading backpack.
What is this Backpack Best Used for?
Given it’s size, the Deuter Compact EXP 10 SL Women’s Backpack is best used for spring and summer day hikes when not a lot of gear is needed, just the 10 Essentials, an extra layer, food, and a hydration pack.
What Are the Shortcomings of the Deuter Compact EXP 10 SL Women’s Backpack?
- It comes with a silly yellow flower. This helps designate it as a women’s backpack. Don’t worry though; if you prefer not to hike with a fake flower attached to your backpack, it is easily removable. 🙂
- It’s pricey. You get what you pay for. This daypack costs over $100. It can be purchased at Freestyle Extreme ($131.95) or Amazon ($135), but you can expect it to last a long time and be your trusted multi-sport small daypack.
- Too small for long dayhikes or winter dayhikes. Given that the capacity is a mere 10L, it is ideal for those of you who pack light. However, for longer dayhikes, or hikes in cooler weather where you need to take more layers with you and more food and water, then you’ll want to consider the bigger sister of this backpack, the Deuter Compact EXP 16.
Specs of the Deuter Compact EXP 10 SL Women’s Backpack
- Weight: 2 pounds 4 ounces
- Sizes: One size, which is typical for most small daypacks. It is 17 inches high, 8.3 inches wide, and 7.5 inches deep.
- Volume: 10 Liters
- Price: $135.00
- Where to Buy: Freestyle Extreme ($131.95); Amazon ($135)
- Colors: Blueberry Mint